Work Study Video Online

Work-Study Program

Mr. Curtis Coy, VA’s Deputy Undersecretary for Economic Opportunity, discusses the benefits of the work-study program for those using the GI Bill.


Work Study Program Details

Who is Eligible?
How Much May I Earn?
What Type of Work May I Do?
How Do I Apply?

If you’re a full-time or 3/4-time student
in a college degree, vocational, or professional program, you can “earn
while you learn”
with a VA work-study allowance.

Who is Eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training on a full-time or ¾ time basis under the following

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill–(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill–Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill–Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only
    while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program — (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors.
Such factors include:

  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end
    of his or her eligibility to education benefits
  • Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student

The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related
work at your school or at VA facilities in your area. Veterans with service-connected disabilities of at least 30% may be given priority consideration.

Go to TopGo
to Top

Much May I Earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State
minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you’re in a work-study job at a college
or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount VA
pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing
the same job as you.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40% of the number of hours
in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you’ve
completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time
you complete 50 hours of service.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with
VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total
number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in
your enrollment period.

Go to TopGo
to Top

Type of Work May I Do?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work.
Examples of acceptable work are:

  • The preparation and processing of necessary papers and other documents at educational institutions
  • A position at a State Home providing hospital care, domiciliary care, or medical treatment under Chapter 17 of Title 38 U.S.C.
  • Any activity at a VA facility
  • Any activity relating to the administration of a National or State Veterans’ cemetery
  • Any activity at Department of Defense, Coast Guard, or National Guard facilities relating to the administration of Chapters 1606 or 1607 of Title 10 U.S.C.
  • Any activity of a State Veterans agency related to providing assistance to Veterans in obtaining any benefit under Title 38, U.S.C. or the laws of the State
  • A position working in a Center for Excellence for Veteran Student Success, as established under 20 U.S.C. 1161t, which purpose is to support and coordinate academic, financial, physical, and social needs of Veteran students
  • A position working in a cooperative program carried out jointly by the VA and an Institution of Higher Learning
  • Any veterans-related position in an Institution of Higher Learning, such as:
    • Assisting with dissemination of general information regarding Veteran benefits and/or services
    • Providing assistance to Veteran students with general inquiries about Veteran benefits via phone, email, or in person
    • Maintaining and organizing veteran-related files

The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work

Go to TopGo
to Top

How Do I Apply?

You can download a copy of the application form HERE.

You can also contact the Regional Processing Office which handles your claim.

To locate your Regional Processing Office click here.

To obtain information on other sources of assistance, contact the financial
aid office at your school.

Go to TopGo
to Top

Source Article from

SEO Powered By SEOPressor
Skip to toolbar